6 Ways You Can Help the Stray Dogs in UAE
Stray dogs have long been a part of the landscape in the UAE, both in urban and rural areas. These animals face a range of challenges, from harsh living conditions to limited access to food and medical care.
Despite this, they continue to capture the hearts of many locals and visitors alike. In this blog, we explore the world of stray dogs in the UAE and the efforts being made to support and care for these animals.
From rescue missions and adoption programs to community initiatives and advocacy efforts, we’ll take a closer look at the people and organizations working to make a difference in the lives of these furry friends
6 Ways you can help the stray dogs in UAE
There are 5 ways you can help the stray dogs of UAE, we will explain each of them so keep reading.
- Adoption events
1- Adopt a stray dog in UAE
Adopting a dog in the UAE can be a wonderful and rewarding experience, but it’s important to make sure you’re prepared for the responsibilities that come with pet ownership. Here are the steps you can follow to adopt a dog in the UAE:
- Research the type of dog you can adopt: Consider factors such as size, energy level, and compatibility with your lifestyle.
- Choose a reputable adoption organization: Look for organizations that prioritize the well-being of the animals they care for and have strict adoption policies.
- Submit an adoption application: Most organizations will ask you to fill out an application form and provide references. This helps them determine whether you’re a good fit for the dog you’re interested in adopting.
- Meet the dog: If your application is approved, you’ll be invited to meet the dog you’re interested in adopting. This is a good opportunity to assess the dog’s personality and make sure you’re comfortable with their behavior.
- Sign an adoption agreement: If you decide to adopt the dog, you’ll be asked to sign an adoption agreement. This will outline the responsibilities and expectations for both you and the adoption organization.
- Pay the adoption fee: Most adoption organizations charge a fee to help cover the costs of caring for the animals in their care.
- Complete necessary paperwork: You may need to provide proof of residency, pet ownership, and veterinary care.
- Take your new pet home: Once you’ve completed the necessary steps, you can take your new pet home and start enjoying life with your new furry friend.
It’s important to remember that adopting a dog is a long-term commitment, and you’ll need to provide the necessary care, attention, and resources to ensure your pet is happy and healthy.
Here are a list of shelters that you can adopt from
- Stray Dogs center
- Animals & Us Fujairah
- Ras Al Khaimah Animal Welfare Center
- Amanda`s Animal Rescue
- Sharjah Cats and Dogs Shelter
- AbuDhabi Animal Shelter
- K9 Friends
We will talk about each of them separately, so keep reading.
2- Foster a stray dog in UAE
Fostering is when you temporarily provide a home for a dog. The dog remains the property of the organization, usually an animal rescue or shelter, and you are responsible for caring for the dog until it is ready to be adopted.
Fostering can be a great way to help dogs in need, provide temporary housing for dogs who are between permanent homes, and can also provide a trial run for prospective adopters to see if the dog is a good fit for their family before making a long-term commitment.
Read: Guide to How to Foster a Dog in Dubai
3- Volunteer at dog shelters:
Volunteering at a dog shelter is a great way to help stray dogs and make a positive impact on their lives.
Shelters often rely on volunteers to help care for the dogs, including feeding, grooming, and providing exercise and socialization. Additionally, volunteers can help with administrative tasks, such as updating records and assisting with adoption events.
Volunteering at a shelter is not only a great way to help dogs in need, but it can also be a rewarding and fulfilling experience for those who love dogs.
It can also provide an opportunity for people to gain experience working with animals and potentially pursue a career in animal welfare.
By volunteering at a dog shelter, you can make a difference in the lives of dogs and help them find their forever homes
How can I volunteer to help stray dogs in the UAE?
- Help with dog adoption events
- Volunteer for dog walk
- Volunteer with some dog activities
Becoming a dog rescuer in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) involves taking several steps:
- Research: Start by researching different animal welfare organizations and dog rescue groups operating in the UAE. This will give you an idea of the different types of work they do and how they help dogs in need.
- Get in touch: Reach out to the organizations you’re interested in and express your interest in volunteering or working as a rescuer. Ask about their requirements and what kind of work they have available.
- Gain experience: If you have limited experience working with dogs, consider volunteering at a shelter or taking courses in animal behavior or animal care. This will help you gain the skills and knowledge you need to be a successful rescuer.
- Build your network: Connect with other dog rescuers and animal welfare advocates in the UAE. This will help you stay informed about the latest developments and opportunities in the field, and you can learn from others who have experience in dog rescue work.
- Get involved: Once you have the skills and experience you need, start actively participating in rescue efforts. This may involve rescuing dogs from shelters, fostering dogs in need, or assisting with adoption events.
There are a few ways you can donate to help stray dogs in the UAE.
- Sponsor Dogs
- Donate dog food
- Donate old dog toys
There are a lot of dog shelters and rescue centers in UAE and they are always in need of financial support to help them take care of the large number of dogs at their facilities. We have listed down a few of these organizations below so you can reach out to them and find more on how can you help.
6- Adoption events
You can help at adoption events by attending, volunteering or simply spreading the word.
How to find dog adoption events in Dubai?
There are adoption and foster events held in Dubai almost every weekend hosted by a few of the shelters and rescue centers in collaboration with other facilities.
You can always find the pet events in our website under the events section. or you can subscribe to our email newsletter and we send weekly updates on all the pet related events including adoption events
Adopt Don’t Shop
Adopt, don’t shop” is a slogan that encourages people to adopt pets from shelters or rescue organizations rather than purchasing them from pet stores or breeders.
The idea behind the slogan is that there are many pets in need of loving homes, and adopting a pet can help save a life and make a positive impact on the pet and the community.
Stray dog overpopulation
The issue of stray dog overpopulation in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) is a growing concern, with many dogs living on the streets without proper care or shelter.
This problem is often caused by a combination of factors, including abandonment by owners, the failure of pet owners to spay or neuter their animals, and the lack of responsible pet ownership practices.
The overpopulation of stray dogs in the UAE can lead to several negative consequences, including increased risk of disease transmission, attacks on wildlife and other animals, and increased number of dogs living in the streets without proper care.
It can also put a strain on animal welfare organizations, who are often responsible for caring for these dogs and finding them homes.
Efforts are underway to address the issue of stray dog overpopulation in the UAE, including spay/neuter programs, adoption initiatives, and education and awareness campaigns aimed at promoting responsible pet ownership.
However, much more needs to be done to address this growing problem, and individuals and organizations can play a role by supporting these efforts and advocating for change
by adopting, you are providing a home for a pet in need, and you are also saving money since the adoption fee is typically lower than the cost of purchasing a pet from a breeder or pet store
Dog Shelters in UAE
1- Stray Dogs Center UAQ
A private animal shelter that was established in 2013 and relies solely on public support to operate.
Owned and managed by Amirah William, the shelter has a paid staff of nine caretakers, a foreman and an administrator. The shelter also operates with the support of approximately 350 volunteers
2- Animals & Us Fujairah
Animals and Us Fujairah was founded in 2006 and is a registered non-profit animal welfare based in United Arab Emirates (UAE)
The founder, Michelle Francis, is an animal lover and has been a rescuer for 15 years, she works as a full time teacher. She doesn’t receive any compensation from her work with the animals.
3- Ras Al Khaimah Animal Welfare Center
Ras Al Khaimah Animal Welfare Centre is an animal welfare organization that re-homes socialized, trained, and healthy cats and dogs. Also, RAK Animal welfare centre also offers a one-stop-shop for all pet needs including a veterinary hospital, boarding, and pet shop.
4- Amanda`s Animal Rescue
At Amanda`s Rescues Are their Favorite Breed. You Can’t Buy Love, Sure Can Rescue It. They usually host pet adoption and foster events.
5- Sharjah Cats and Dogs Shelter
Sharjah Cat and Dog Shelter is a non-profit shelter that rescues abandoned pets from the streets of Sharjah, UAE. In addition to rescuing cats and dogs.
The shelter often helps find homes and hold cat and dog adoption days in their Sharjah animal shelter. They do not only rescue pets, but further the education of people wanting to adopt and be a pet owner
6- Abu Dhabi Animal Shelter
Abu Dhabi Animal Shelter for stray cats and dogs is the first Animal Shelter for Abu Dhabi Emirate. Underlines the great efforts of the Abu Dhabi government to set a role model for animal welfare on a national, regional, and international level.
7- K9 Friends
K9 Friends is a shelter that rescues abandoned and stray dogs in the UAE and finds them loving new homes. Formed in 1989, it is the longest established dog rescue in the country.
You will also like to read
If you loved this article, you will also love reading our eBook Dubai Ruff Guide
For more furry destinations, the latest blogs, events, and providers you can stay updated by following us on Instagram and signing up for our newsletters.
Leave your comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.